Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Running Full Circle

It occurred to me tonight that my FIRST memory of running was in the second grade, as we were "forced" to participate in the Presidential Fitness Challenge. A quick loop around the baseball fields at Westside Elementary set the ground work for the next 30 years of my life and began a true love for running.

This past weekend, Jake also had to participate in his first Presidential Fitness Challenge... slaughtering the required time and other events, only to come back and ask to run the course again!!! We never know what the future holds for our children, but we always hope for the best and if he continues to run and be active, I know that he'll continue to make great life decisions and live a much richer life!

I personally pull energy from my kids as I run. Talking to them and asking them to "push daddy along" or just continue to chant "Come on guys, we've got this" during some of my darkest moments and it always pulls me out! Having them "with" me while I run is the single best piece of motivation I could ever have.

Hopefully they will draw inspiration or motivation to push themselves harder from my crazy running habits or even follow suit. I can't think of anything greater than one day being able to head out on a long run with Jake or Izzy and just talk away the miles.

I wonder if 30 years from now, Jake will be watching his son or daughter come around the final turn in first place and have his heart fill with pride and over flow with love. Hope he'll tell me all about it the next time we get together for a long run.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I feel the same about our children. Very special!

    ReplyDelete